Thursday 29 March 2018

Review: Her Mother's Daughter by Alice Fitzgerald


I don't really know how I feel about this book. I keep going back and forth as to whether I enjoyed it or not, but ultimately I keep landing on the same conclusion: it wasn't really for me.

We flick back and forth between two time periods: 1980, when Josephine is leaving her less-than-happy family in Ireland for a new life in London, and 1997, when Josephine's daughter Clare is looking forward to going to Ireland and meeting her other grandparents for the first time.

It took me a long while to get into the story, and even when I did, it felt like I was reading it just to finish it, and not because I particularly cared about the story. It also just sort of... ended, without any real conclusion. It wasn't a bad story, it just didn't really appeal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment