Saturday 22 December 2018

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


Cadence and her group of Liars (cousins, mostly) go to her Grandfather's private island every summer. But one year, she has an accident which leaves her with a head injury and significant memory loss of the entire summer. Now she's trying to piece together what happened to her, one memory at a time.

This book was a great quick read, but I have mixed feelings about it. It's been on my 'to read' pile for ages, and I finally picked it up to read before Christmas. I read it in two days.

To be honest, the story was quite slow. The first half or so was just giving information, and this was a long, roundabout process. The second half was better - it was a lot more interesting and the plot moved forward much quicker.

The redeeming quality of this book was the big twist, which I truly did not see coming. It added a whole new layer to the story, and was exciting enough to save the story for me, even if it was a bit peculiar. Despite the slow start, this is one of those wonderful books that you can pick up, read and enjoy, and put down again once it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment