Thursday 11 June 2020

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Image

Okay, so I’ve just finished reading this. This is The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, and it is the first in a four book series. I’ve just ordered the second one, which tells you everything you need to know about whether or not I liked it. (Spoiler alert: I did!)

The Raven Boys is about a girl called Blue who is the daughter of a psychic, and she has been told her entire life that if she kisses her true love, she will kill him, which is quite intense for a sixteen-year-old girl! On St. Mark’s Eve, when the souls of the dead walk past, Blue sees a boy, and she is given another chilling prediction: ‘There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve… either you’re his true love, or you killed him.’ So Blue seeks out this boy to try and change his fate, and finds herself in with the Raven Boys, so named because of the raven symbol on their private school uniform, and the rest of the story is about her developing a relationship with these boys and trying to stop this prediction from coming true, and I really enjoyed it.

There is just something about the way this author writes, and the characters that she creates are just so real. I’m dying to read the rest of the series because I want to know more about these boys: Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah are well-rounded characters with individual backstories, and like I said, I really want to know more about them.

The one thing that I would say about this book, and it’s obviously done for a reason, is that I have a lot of unanswered questions still. As I said, that’s obviously set up ready for the rest of the series, but yeah, there are a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up still.

But overall, I would highly recommend this book, and I’m really excited to read the rest of the series! 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment