Monday 26 September 2016

Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Image Credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Calling
I dislike long, rambling book reviews so to sum this up in a sentence: I LOVED this.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka. J. K. Rowling for those of you that don't know this), is a masterpiece from start to finish. Perhaps I'm slightly biased because of how much I love the Harry Potter books, but I'd like to think that even if this wasn't written by J .K. Rowling, I'd still love it just as much.

Cormoran Strike is a broke, out-of-work detective who takes an apparently open and shut suicide case purely for the money. Robin is a newly-engaged agency worker who is sent to work for Strike temporarily. This is a detective/crime novel, and the aspect that I loved most about it was the story. Despite the apparent simplicity of the case, it is engaging from the first page and keeps you guessing right up until the end.

I also like that, despite this book being the first of a series of Strike detective novels by Rowling, it can still be read as a standalone book. The case finishes and ends within the novel and to me, that's really important.

If you haven't read this, I would highly recommend it. I mean, if you haven't read the Harry Potter books (and who hasn't, let's be real), I'd probably start with those. But this was fantastic, and I thoroughly look forward to the second one.

What books have you been loving lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment