Sunday 13 August 2017

Review: Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland


I read this book in two days. I loved it. I don't even know where to start, to be honest.

I mean, it's set in a bookshop, so what's not to love already? And the main character, Loveday (apparently that's an actual name... I've lived a very sheltered life), is so relatable. She's flawed and self-conscious and prefers her own company to that of anyone else. To sum up this book in one word, it would have to be SECRETS. This novel is full of them. Everybody keeps secrets, and the characters in this novel are no different. Loveday has spent her entire adult life working in a bookshop and lying to everyone about her past, but she eventually comes to realise that she's only hurting herself by holding onto these secrets and refusing to let go.

It was the ending of the book that really did it for me. It was tragic, but somehow bitter-sweet. I actually almost cried. As eager as I was to finish the book, I also didn't want it to end.

CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH. 5 stars, 10/10, would recommend to a friend. I don't know, maybe I just loved it because it was a book about books. You can't really get much better than that, to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment