Thursday 30 May 2019

Review: The Woman Who Wanted More by Vicky Zimmerman


Kate is 40 years old, her perfect relationship has fallen apart and she's had to move back in with her rude, judgemental mother. Her job is on the line, and to take her mind off things, she begins volunteering at a retirement home. There, she meets Cecily, who is 97 and is not afraid to speak her mind. Stubborn Cecily lends Kate a recipe book that might just change her life - just as it changed hers so many years ago...

I'm very undecided about this book. Granted, I don't believe I'm the target audience, and that definitely has an effect, but there are other reasons, too. It was very slow to start off with - Kate spends the first third or so whining about how awful everything is, and when she finally listens to Cecily, she realises that a lot of it is self-inflicted. The last third of the book was much better - the story was more interesting and Kate came on a real journey. I also like that everything didn't just go back to the way it was - Kate really learned some important life lessons and Cecily got to share her wisdom and life lessons with her.

I think I would have loved this if I was older, but I'm not, so I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment